The Milliard Hypoallergenic Crib Mattress is obviously the result of extensive research, feedback from customers and experience making mattresses for infants, toddlers and children. This is the unavoidable conclusion the more intently you look at this product.
For one thing, this mattress provides the perfect combination of comfort, support, safety, value and craftsmanship.
Packaging & Set-up
This mattress comes conveniently packaged in a small box, vacuum-sealed and ready to roll flat—within 48 hours it’s completely decompressed.
Although not containing harmful chemicals or toxins, this mattress does emit a unique new-material scent that some people/kids may find uncomfortable but, in most cases, everyone gets used to the scent, which mostly decreases over time. This scent may disturb persons with hyper-sensitivities—although this can apply to any product.
Quality and Comfort
This mattress is designed to gently cuddle your little one in a durable foam that is both comfortable but firm and firm but flexible. Milliard’s high-density, shape-maintaining 5.5” foam naturally adapts to the unique curves and form of your baby’s body, thus reducing aches, stress and muscle pain.
Reducing the chance for SIDS, suffocation and other mishaps, Milliard Crib Mattress resists the “sinking” effect. With a “medium” firmness of 32 ILD and a 28D density, it offers full support. This is enhanced by a polyester cover that’s thick-&-firm.
What Is This Mattress Made Of?
The Milliard Crib Mattress uses proprietary blends of foam that are superior to bumpy spring mattresses and low-quality synthetic blends. Its reinforced encasement is waterproof, except for the bottom—but this allows for optimum product ventilation and temperature control (so the mattress doesn’t overheat), while also providing flame retardancy). This is achieved with the use of a built-in fiberglass lining free of toxins/chemicals.
The mattress’s basic design is a plush, firm foam assisted by a waterproof removable cover. The foam is naturally resistant to allergens, dust mites, mold, and bacteria, as well as being antimicrobial and hypoallergenic—an important feature for asthmatics and allergy sufferers.
The material/design improves mattress weight distribution and air circulation, which in turn helps regulate sleep temperature.
This mattress uses a special TPU coating for waterproofing on the underside of the polyester cover--which doesn’t make irritating “plastic” noises or feels unnatural to lie and roll around on—and Milliard CertiPUR-US Foam.
The polyester cover/encasement is not only waterproof but it also keeps out allergens and bugs; it is also easy to take off and wash after “accidents.”
This Milliard mattress’ material can help your baby transition to a crib by being comparable in softness, comfort to a parents’ bed, if co-sleeping. Surprisingly, babies can tell major differences in comfort! This can reduce sleepless nights for you.
Because a baby’s weight is spread out evenly on foam, there is little sinkage or discomfort. This mattress has just the right amount of foam density for a youngster—not too soft and not too firm.
Loose seems can pose dangers & problems. All the seams, the fabric and the zipper are tightly/securely sewn, except for a slightly loose fabric around the zipper--most probably not a big thing.
At about 8 lbs., this mattress is easy to turn and maneuver—no small thing when changing sheets and cleaning messes. The cover can seem backpack-rough but this helps assure its durability.
This mattress doesn’t make for a good trampoline—this discourages misbehavior, especially by older siblings. It also makes for more restful sleep, if the child tosses and turns much.
This mattress’ special air-circulating features help it stay cool in hot weather; this is also useful if the child has a fever.
What Makes This Mattress the Best?
There are many things about this mattress which make it superior to alternatives—here are the most salient features:
- This mattress meets fire safety regulations.
- This mattress is soft enough for the most demanding babies/toddlers.
- The child shouldn’t sink into the mattress, potentially suffocating, or get limbs caught in spaces left between bed and mattress—as long as a standard sized crib/bed is used.
- A reasonably-priced mattress, comparatively speaking.
- The mattress comes with a 100% guarantee covering manufacturing defects & materials/functioning mishaps or shortcomings.
- The product comes with a generous weight capacity range—adults report no problems when lying on it.
- Kids aren’t tempted to bounce wildly on this mattress, thus ensuring their safety.
- Milliard now provides a thicker polyester cover, also non-porous and hypoallergenic.
Sleeping Position Ratings for Toddlers & Infants
When rating/assessing sleeping positions, the following factors matter:
This foam is strong enough to support weight on the edges adequately. This reduces chance of falling over; it also helps if heavier siblings sit on the edges. You also don’t want to fear tossers-&-turners ending up at the edge of the bed.
It’s also good to see non-sharp, snugly-fitting-into-most-beds corners on these mattresses.
- Safety: 9.5 out of 10
- Support: 9.5 out of 10
- Edge Support: 9 out of 10
- Bounce: 9 out of 10
- Heat Retention: 9.5 out of 10
- Toddler Sleeping: 9 out of 10
- Baby Sleeping: 9.5 out of 10
For Whom (age, sleeper type, etc.) Is This Mattress Suitable?
This mattress is a good “fit” for children with wetness issues since it comes with a waterproof cover. Of course, “messes” still need to be cleaned up ASAP and you should still use other precautions, like diapers.
This mattress is ideal for a child still using a standard toddler bed.
This mattress is made for infants (up to 2 years) and toddlers (up to 3 years); they may also be suitable for some pre-schoolers (3 to 5).
The Final Puzzle You Need to Know
In general, this mattress:
- Can provide a safe, comfortable sleep experience for your children; it’s high-density foam is just what the doctor ordered;
- Provides a perfect comfort/support balance;
- Milliard is a leader in the industry, using customer feedback to constantly improve its products;
- This mattress is compactly packed and easily deployed
- Accessories are readily available, as are replacements;
- Because the bottom isn’t waterproof, be careful if using it directly on the floor where it might get soaked;
- The mattress comes tightly wrapped in a small box and its weight is minimal.
- The mattress’s softness can be further enhanced by putting a thick cover or blanket on it.
- Some people have complained about the zipper;
- This mattress doesn’t weigh down cribs and beds much.
Pros & Cons
The three most important/salient pros are:
- The mattress provides 4 key advantages: a perfectly balanced comfort/support ratio; a waterproof top and sides for inevitable accidents; good air flow that promotes low heat retention; and flame retardancy.
- The mattress meets the most basic fire and safety restrictions/regulations, including not using dangerous toxins and chemicals for its construction and design.
- It offers good edge strength and poor trampoline characteristics.
- It does come with a potentially persistent scent that seems to bother some kids/people, though most people can deal with it—also, it is said to dissipate over time.