Tempurpedic vs. Sleep Number| Which one Should You Buy?
Sleeping is for sissies. At least, that was the dominant logic of the 20th century. High profile business and world-leaders would boast about how little they slept. As if a lack of sleep was an indicator of hard work. Today, a good night´s rest is the latest status symbol. Last year the mattress market rose by 5%.
- Why Is a Mattress So Important?
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Tempurpedic Mattress
- Advantages and Disadvantages of Sleep Number Mattress
- Sleep Number vs. Tempurpedic – Which one is Best?
- Which Will Last Long – Sleep Number or Tempurpedic?
Why Is a Mattress So Important?
We spend nearly a third of our lives in the land of nod. During this time we have no way of controlling our posture and, in deep REM sleep, our temperature regulators are less effective.
Feeling well-rested is all about getting into that golden REM stage where we do most of our recharging. The price of a bad night´s sleep is very high. Poor mood, aching muscles alongside the inability to rationalize are all tell-tale signs of poor sleep.
A mattress is fundamental to providing us with the opportunity to sleep well.
Sleeping like a log comes from having a mattress that supports your individual habits. If you´re mattress doesn´t suit your sleeping position, and your spine isn´t aligned then you can lose up to 49% of REM sleep. Modern mattresses use all kinds of support methods to prevent this.
It´s been proven that during REM, or deep sleep, are bodies don´t regulate temperature as well. If you sweat a lot during sleep than that will affect your choice of mattress. Memory foam mattresses, for example, ventilate heat less well than traditional spring mattresses. High body temperature results in a restless night.
Let´s take a look at how our mattresses compare now that we have the science of sleeping out the way.Keep in mind the two most important factors of sleep which is good posture, or support, and proper thermal regulation. First of all we´ll compare the advantages, and disadvantages between sleep number vs tempurpedic mattress.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Tempurpedic Mattress
- Tempur is a company with vast resources which means they have a good variation of price to suit every budget. On the low end of the scale a queen sized mattress starts at $1,499 and rises to $7,499.
- These mattresses are made from memory foam which molds to the users spine providing support for all sleeping positions. This encourages a good night´s sleep and reducing muscular aches the morning after.- In spring mattresses the loss of as little as 4 springs creates pressure points. The nature of memory foam material significantly reduces these painful pressure points
- No moving parts means there´s less that can go wrong over time; with the exception of the Tempur-choice series.
- If you tend to move in your sleep, the Tempur-pedic mattress will automatically adjust to provide the support you need
- Every mattress comes with a 10 year warranty
- The Tempur-dermic mattress doesn´t regulate heat so well on the cheaper models.
- It takes time to adjust to sudden change in sleeper´s position
- Over long-term usage the memory foam becomes less firm, resulting in less effective support.
- Their units are all one piece mattresses which makes installation easy but transportation a bit of a hassle.
- Incompatible with heated bedding like electric blankets or hot water bottles
Advantages and Disadvantages of Sleep Number Mattress
- Sleep Number mattresses are considerably cheaper than Tempur. Their queen mattresses start at $999 and rise to around $4,299
- Similar to their Tempur counterparts, Sleep Number mattresses reduce pressure points. These models have the ability to change shape and comfort according to the user´s body weight. In addition they contour to support the alignment of the sleeper´s spine, shoulder´s and neck.
- They´re fully adjustable. The firmness of the mattress can be set manually and changed at any time.A wide range of models are available including: Classic C2, C4, M7 memory foam, P5 Perfomance, P6 and their range of smart mattresses the Innovation i8, i10
- Sleep Number offer an impressive warranty of 25 years on all their products.
- The air chambers in this mattress are separated and need to be individually assembled
- Smart mattresses contain moving parts which increase the likelihood of things going wrong further down the line.
- Sudden changes in external air pressure, like in high altitudes, or temperature can soften the programmed firmness.
- With a multitude of settings, some users may feel a bit out of their depth or unwilling to learn how to get the most out of their model
- Being smart devices mean that these mattresses require a power source to operate to their full potential.
Sleep Number vs. Tempurpedic – Which one is Best?
The correct firmness of your mattress will depend on your sleeping position. Somebody who sleeps primarily on their back, for example, will require a firm bed. Equally, a side-sleeper will get a better night´s sleep from a softer mattress.
With a Tempurpedic mattress brand you need to get the firmness right at the first time of asking. There´s a lot of choice to accommodate most sleepers but, unlike the Sleep Number, once you´ve chosen you can´t change your mind.
The Sleep Number mattress is one of a kind in that it allows you to adjust firmness from night to night. Over time you can figure out what settings will be best for you, although, this does require some additional effort.
As I mentioned in the beginning of this piece our ability to self-regulate our temperature during REM sleep suffers. In this example the Tempurpedic mattress model fall short. Memory foam is thicker, and denser, than spring mattresses which ends up retaining heat. The Sleep Number, on the other hand, fares slightly better. It´s aerated design helps to keep you cool, expanding your REM phase of sleep.
Getting used to it:
Every new mattress requires a bedding in period and these two are no different. The Tempurpedic mattress performs a lot better in this regard. There´s is no tricky settings or technology. You simply lie in your favorite sleeping position and the memory foam does the rest.
A Sleep Number bed will learn your habits, even measuring your blood pressure and heart rate, but at first it´s a little over-complicated. There´s no way of working out your ideal firmness without a lengthy trial and error process.
Assembly does reflect badly on the Sleep Number bed which is best done by a professional. There are lots of moving parts, different settings and programs as well as the fact that you´ll need a power-source to help it run. The Tempurpedic is as straight-forward as you´d expect installing a mattress to be.
This is where it gets a little bit tricky to decide. Memory foam mattresses, like the ones provided by Tempur, are significantly more comfortable than their spring counterpoints. They offer a 70% sleep improvement as judged by surveys conducted by the ICBI.
Sleep Number beds are comfortable too. The big advantage of a Sleep Number mattress is the ability to program a unique firmness setting. If you´re an awkward sleeper I would probably go for the Sleep Number. On the other hand, if your sleeping position is relatively normal (prone, back, side) the Tempur will be more suited to you.
It doesn´t matter who you are. Price is always a factor when it comes to choosing a mattress. The Sleep Number wins out here offering savings at the base level of $700. Their range is limited though so, if you have cash to splash, you´d be better off looking at the Tempur catalog.
One of the driving forces in buying a new mattress is for preventing back pain. 80% of US citizens will experience lower back pain at some point in their lives. Memory foam mattresses are proven to reduce muscular aches brought about by poor sleep by providing the right amount of support and keeping the spine aligned during unconsciousness.
There are also numerous studies that suggest designing mattresses specific to the user can reduce back, shoulder or neck aches. A study conducted by the ICBI observed patients sleep positions then designed mattresses specifically to support those positions. They found a significant reduction in aches and pains after changes to the mattress had been made. The Sleep Number mattress offers a custom support structure that uses smart technology to adapt to users sleep position.
Overall it´s hard to say definitively which of these mattresses is better. Both have considerable benefits over spring mattresses. Both have scientific research to back up the claims to improved sleeping. For me, the Sleep Number mattress just about edges it due to the fact you can adjust firmness to your own individual needs.
Nobody wants to be stuck with a product that is faulty. The warranties on offer by both Tempur and Sleep Number give piece of mind although you will have to pay for shipping costs. You can even try it out for 100 days and return it if you´re not happy. Tempur are the bigger brand and, as a result of that, provide a better service. The Sleep Number warranty has a lot of fine-print that really reduces its usefulness. Tempur, on the other hand, will seek to repair your mattress, or provide a new one, in almost any instance.
Which Will Last Long – Sleep Number or Tempurpedic?
Mattresses are, first and foremost, long-term investments. The lifespan of your mattress will influence what type of mattress to go for. Indeed, the popularity of traditional spring mattresses doesn´t come from comfort but from their robust, durable design.
One of the problems with memory foam is the way that it adapts over time. Changes in temperature combined with long-term usage will cause memory foam to soften. This is a problem because the reason behind this mattresses effectiveness is its ability to provide sturdy support throughout the night. On average, a Tempur-pedic memory foam mattress has a lifespan of 10 to 15 years. In the latter half of its life you may want to replace it as the mattress becomes increasingly soft.
Sleep Number uses a combination of techniques to provide comfort, including air pressure. This means the mattresses will last longer without losing any firmness over time. You can expect to get 20 years out of a sleep number mattress. The flipside is that there are moving parts, computer chips and electrical circuits in this type of model. That means that, even though the mattress itself won´t degrade, many of the functions could give out before that 20 year limit.
Author: Emma Megan
I am a mother of two beautiful girls.I know that when a mother gives birth to a child, she has to be very cautious than a father for the health of that child.Wherever I get the opportunity to write, I write about the wellness of the children because a real mother knows how to keep a child healthy.Lets’s write on the web for whatever is needed for a baby.
Don’t forget to Like mattermattress.com on Facebook,Twitter and Google Plus if you haven’t already.